Sunday, June 3, 2012

Revlon French Mix Swatch and Review

I bought this because I liked the glittery end of it, I thought it was pretty and different enough from Starry Pink that it was worth the purchase.  Revlon Nail Art French Mix is meant to be used for making french manicures yet I don't think that is easily accomplished.


I got Moonstruck, the purple one second from the left. My complaint isn't 100% directed at the quality of the polish but the practically of the product.


I was originally drawn to the polish that's on the top. I can't wear chunky glitters but smaller glitters usually work decently for me. Not the case this time around.


The brush is average, no complaints on that. You're seeing the side of the brush here so it may appear skinny but it is average width.

"Natural" Light
I did not even attempt a french of any sorts after swatching one layer.  The problem with the shimmery purple (the darker one) is that its incredibly sheer which is OK in itself but not if you're supposed to use it for tips.  It wouldn't lay flat by the time you made it opaque. The formula, aside from being on the sheer side, was alright. It's actually very pretty, too.

"Natural" Light
The glitter was a total pain in the ass to apply. It was splotchy, sheer and had lots of bare spots that ended up needing four coats to fix. I was not a fan of the formula, by any means. It was pretty but it was frustrating to apply. All of my other Revlons aren't this complicated - I don't know why this one was. I can't imagine trying to do a french manicure with these, with or without guides.

"Natural" Light
If you see a color in one of these you like, then by all means buy it, but don't expect to create stunning french manicures.  I saw a review on Nouveau Cheap that shared similar frustrations. These things aren't marketed right. It should be sold as, "LOOK COMPLIMENTARY COLORS! 2FER1!" instead of "LOOK AT ALL THE FRENCH MANICURE DESIGNS YOU CAN DO!"

7 comments:

  1. too bad,,, its such a pretty color though,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. from the looks of the promo pics they've got some awesome colors out but the fact that its too sheer and is hard to apply turns me off of this.. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the glitter was ridiculous. they're OK by themselves, the pairing concept for frenches is a bit of a miss though.

      Delete
  3. Bummer it doesnt work good, cause it looks pretty with POTENTIAL! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well the glitter sucked but the other wasnt too bad.. just sheer )=

      Delete